Thinking about renovating your home? That’s great! It can add value to your home and can improve your lifestyle a lot through your residential interior design. But that’s only if it’s done correctly. Here are 5 common renovation mistakes that you need to stay away from.
1. Ignoring the existing issues in the house
If you live in an older house, when ripping up floors and knocking down walls, there is a higher chance that you will stumble across an unexpected issue or issues with object support. As soon as you stumble across an issue, it is always better to address it straight away. It will be a lot cheaper to address straight up, especially if it’s plumbing and has something to do with the hot water system, or any electrical issues because you can fix them before you close floor or walls back up.
2. Constantly changing your mind
If you keep changing your mind, your renovation will cost you a lot more money. If you change your mind late in the process, it will cost you a lot more. The mostly costly thing you could do would be to change the design. If it is a change to the actual layout, then depending on how drastic the change is, you might have to get a new planning approval. However, changing your ideas about small interior details such as internal blinds or furniture, is not such a bad thing.
3. Doing the renovation yourself
Renovating your home is really exciting. A lot of homeowners love the idea of being of becoming home decorators for a short time and getting involved and doing it themselves. This is fine when it comes to small tasks because that’s what makes your house feel like a home, when you personally add your touches. However, there are a lot of times where you need to hand the job straight over to the professionals. For example, if you’re working on the backyard, doing minor construction (if you trust your skills) is fine, but before you do, you need to hire a landscaping contractor to come in and work with you so you’re getting the best possible outcome. You also need to ensure you hire the best people for slab crane and franna services – as your renovation’s quality comes down to the people planning and implementing it. Backyards are used for entertaining most of the time, and so don’t you want to show off an amazing yard when you have visitors?
4. Settling on the cheaper fixtures
Saving some money to buy the cheaper fixtures seem like a great idea for the short term, however, it isn’t wise in the long term. Everyone knows that kitchens and bathrooms sell houses and so invest a bit more money into getting some great quality fixtures for the bathroom and kitchen, making them phenomenal custom showcases . Items that you use the most, need to be a quality product, otherwise they just won’t last and you will have to get repairs and replacements and that will end up costing you a lot more. A classic example of this is external blinds. They have to put up with all weather conditions so it is recommended that you spend more on them in order to save yourself having to keep replacing them.
5. Hiring a relative or friend as a trade
When it is time for you to spend money, it is common for people to look for the cheapest option to save as much as they can. That’s why a lot of people think it’s a great idea to get their friends and family involved in the construction. However, you have to consider the following before doing so:
- You must ensure that they are a licensed professional if they are doing work with plumbing, electrical, gas, slab cranes and other crane hire, and anything with the structure of your home.
- In case of an accident occurs, the tradie must have the necessary insurances in place, otherwise as the homeowner, you will be held liable.
- There can be a lot of unforeseen problems that could occur. If you are unhappy with the work of the landscape design for example, how will you ask them back to change it? If they see that you’re unhappy with their work, could that lead to a break-down of your relationship? If you hire someone else to fix their work, what will they think/say when they visit your home next? What happens if you don’t agree on the cost? There’s so many issues that could come out of this, so our advice is, just don’t go there.